A general election is on the horizon, and it’s more important than ever that people in Scotland are registered to vote.
With reports that Boris Johnson is hoping students and young people will fail to register, it is vital that people register now in order to avoid losing their right to vote.
Remember: at general elections, students are able to vote either at their university or their home locations. It’s worth checking where you feel your vote would have the most impact. Use your post code to search for your nearest Electoral office.
With so much at stake, this will be one of the most important elections in Scotland’s history. The SNP will put Scotland’s opposition to Brexit and our right to choose our own future as an independent nation at the heart of that contest.
People in Scotland deserve the choice of a better future than the one being imposed on us by Westminster. It's crucial people register to vote now so we can stop Brexit and protect Scotland's right to choose.Mhairi Black
This is a crucial time to make sure your voice is heard at the ballot box. Here’s why:
Brexit has shown, once and for all, that Westminster isn’t working.
- The UK political system is deeply dysfunctional and has ground to a halt due to Brexit. We need to make sure Scotland has strong representation to stand up for Scotland’s national interest.
- Scotland’s place in Brexit Britain is damaging our international reputation and causing uncertainty to thousands of our European citizens. Voting SNP will demonstrate Scotland’s determination to take a different path.
- The UK government has been forced to release new information on their planning for a no deal Brexit. The Operation Yellowhammer document said medical supplies will be impacted and food prices will rise. Scotland must demonstrate its opposition to a no deal.
Read more: Yellowhammer Papers: what you need to know
Promises made to Scotland during the 2014 referendum were never kept.
- Scottish voters were told they could protect their EU citizenship by rejecting independence in 2014 – now we’re being dragged out of Europe against our will, quite possibly under a disastrous no deal scenario.
- We were told by voting No we could build a more equal society across the UK. Now the United Nations says UK welfare policy is “tragic” and inflicting “great misery” on our citizens.
- Labour said there was no need for independence because they would sweep to power and sort everything out – yet Scotland is now suffering its third Tory Prime Minister since 2014.
Voting SNP at the next general election is a powerful way of showing Scotland’s opposition to a damaging no deal Brexit – and it will be a vital time to make the case for Scotland’s future being in Scotland’s hands.