The budget shows our desire to give young people the best start in life:
- We are protecting and expanding the Education Maintenance Allowance, to allow more young people from the poorest backgrounds to stay in education.
- We are protecting college budgets.
- We are ensuring that access to higher education continues to be free, and protecting student bursaries.
- We are protecting free tuition and bursaries for Nursing and Midwifery Students, in contrast to England where they pay for their own training and earnings will be cut by £900 a year.
- We will provide 30,000 new Modern Apprenticeship opportunities every year by 2020.