The budget continues to protect hard pressed families from the worst of Westminster’s cuts:
- We have frozen Council Tax for the ninth year in a row.
- We are pumping an extra £500 million into Scotland’s frontline health services – meaning our health budget for 2016 will be a record £13 billion.
- We are increasing investment in affordable housing supply by £90 million to take us on the way to our target of providing 50,000 new affordable homes by 2020-21.
- We will continue to help family budgets with free prescriptions and eye tests and ensuring free school meals for children in P1 to P3
- We are providing 600 hours of free high-quality childcare for all 3 and 4 year olds and vulnerable 2 year olds, and we are committed to almost double that by the end of the next Parliament.
- We are doubling our investment in attainment programmes to reduce the gap between children in our most and least deprived areas.
- We are providing mitigation against Westminster’s cuts through the Scottish Welfare Fund and the Council Tax Reduction Scheme.
- We will continue to ensure nobody in Scotland pays the Bedroom Tax.