Tolerance, respect, inclusion – these are the attitudes and principles we want to encourage and foster in modern, fairer Scotland - and the SNP 2016 manifesto sets out how we will achieve this for all LGBTI people.
Here’s just some of what we’ll do.
- We expect all new guidance and promoted teachers – and eventually all teachers – to undertake training on equality, so they are confident in tackling prejudice-based bullying.
- We will work towards every professional working with children being trained on equality, to help address prejudice-based bullying, attachment, child development and child protection.
- We will review and reform gender recognition law, so it’s in line with international best practice for people who are Transgender or Intersex.
- We will aim to ensure that all police officers receive appropriate training to support the investigation of hate crimes and also work towards all new police and fire service recruits receiving equality training.
- We will build and improve the standalone protocol for people seeking gender reassignment, which has provided a clearer and consistent treatment pathway that is equitable, effective, and patient-focussed.
- We will continue to work with sports’ governing bodies to support efforts to end LGBTI discrimination in sport.
We will work with the Time for Inclusive Education campaign to promote an inclusive approach to sex and relationships education.