Scotland has delivered a strong, unequivocal vote to remain in the EU. The vote here makes clear that the people of Scotland see their future as part of the European Union.
In voting for Remain in such high numbers, Scotland contributed significantly to the UK ‘Remain’ vote.
While we await the UK-wide result, here’s what you need to know about the EU referendum result in Scotland.
- Scotland voted 62 per cent to 38 per cent in favour of remaining in the EU.
- Over 1.5 million people in Scotland voted ‘Remain’.
- All 32 local council areas have voted to Remain in the EU. Scotland is the only nation in the UK to achieve a clean sweep of all local authorities.
- Scotland has delivered the strongest Remain vote of any nation in the UK so far.
- At 67.2%, the turnout is the second highest turnout of any referendum held in Scotland, higher even than the 1997 referendum on devolution.