Scotland has one of the strongest economies in the world – with advantages and resources few nations can match. And the fundamentals of Scotland’s economy are strong.
1. Scotland’s economy grew by 0.7 per cent in first quarter of 2017 – compared to 0.2 per cent for the UK as a whole.
2. Scotland’s employment rate is the highest on record – and above the UK rate.
3. A higher proportion of workers in Scotland are paid the real Living Wage compared to any UK nation.
4. Over the last 10 years, Scotland has secured more foreign direct investment projects than any other part of the UK outside London.
5. Scotland’s productivity is outperforming the UK as a whole.
Official statistics show that output per hour worked in Scotland has grown 3.5 per cent in Scotland in 2015, compared to a UK figure of 0.9 per cent. Over the longer term, labour productivity in Scotland has grown by 9.4 per cent since 2007. UK productivity has grown by 0.1 per cent over the same period.