Ivan McKee MSP is looking to appoint a part-time, fixed term intern based in his busy constituency office in Glasgow with opportunities to work in the Scottish Parliament. The McKee Internship is funded personally by Ivan McKee via his Enterprising Provan scheme. It will be offered on a rolling basis in periods throughout the calendar year. Broadly, to start in March 2018, July 2018, January 2019 and May 2019. Applications are invited at this stage for the March and July intakes.
This is an exciting opportunity for an enthusiastic and motivated individual to join Ivan’s team and use the experience to learn about the work of a constituency office and develop skills to support him in his work as MSP for Glasgow Provan.
Pay: Real living Wage (currently) £8.75 per hour
Hours – a max of 14 hours per week - to be negotiated – we can be flexible in relation to days/hours to fit round existing study/work commitments. Predominately within the period Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm, occasionally outwith this. For a fixed term of max 16 weeks.
The following is a guide to the duties we need undertaken. As this is an internship, we won’t expect the intern to be able to do this on day one. We will discuss with you your interests and the skills you want to develop with our help. Broadly speaking, under the guidance, and with the full support of the Office Manager and the rest of the team, the intern will:
- Provide general administrative support (answering phone, booking constituency appointments, reception duties, logging casework and establishing simple files and record lists etc) to the Office Manager
- Draft routine correspondence to a wide range of recipients in response to enquiries from constituents, organisations and groups
- Research and draft briefings on specific topics including gathering information for policy responses
- Draft parliamentary motions
- Undertake tasks relating to casework in support of the Caseworkers
- Attend surgeries & meetings with the MSP as required including taking notes in meetings
Candidates will be judged on their ability to demonstrate in the application that they have some of the following attributes and they have a sound understanding of all, and why we require them. The successful candidate should have:
- Some knowledge of Glasgow North and East
- A desire to help people and combat social injustice and inequality
- A flexible and positive approach to work and a willingness to try new things and to learn
- Reasonable basic written, verbal communication and IT skills
- A positive, team-oriented attitude but also an ability to work independently
- The ability to work with diplomacy, discretion and confidentiality
- An interest in Scottish politics and be sympathetic to the aims of the Scottish National Party
How to apply
Please send a CV (max 2 pages) and covering letter (max 2 pages) by email or post to Lorna Finn, Constituency Office Manager, addressing the attributes, detailing what you can offer and what you would like to get out of the internship. References will be sought from successful candidates. The closing date for applications is noon on Thursday 22 February. Candidates selected for interview will be informed on Friday 23 February and interviews will be held on Friday 2 March at Ivan’s constituency office. The first internship will start from 12 March or asap thereafter – to be negotiated. It will run until 12 July.
Informal enquiries and questions to Lorna Finn, Constituency Office Manager.
12 Hillfoot Street, Dennistoun, Glasgow G31 2LF