Born in Glasgow in 1973, Alyn grew up in Saudi Arabia, returning to Scotland in 1986. He attended Leeds and Heidelberg Universities, and graduated from Nottingham Law School in 1996. Alyn also achieved a Masters degree in European Studies from the College of Europe in Warsaw. After a spell of working with Scotland Europa in Brussels, Alyn moved to London where he qualified with Clifford Chance, a commercial law firm. Prior to his election Alyn worked on the SNP staff in Holyrood. Here he focused on European, Justice and Business policies.
- Elected June 2004 to the European Parliament
- Committee Member on Regional Development
- Alternate Committee Member on Industry, Research and Energy
- Alternate Member on the Temporary Committee on policy challenges and budgetary means of the enlarged Union 2007-2013
- Member of the Delegation for relations with Switzerland, Iceland and Norway and to the European Economic Area (EEA) Joint Parliamentary Committee
- Deputy SNP Spokesman for International Relations
Alyn's newsletter is available on www.alynsmith.eu