Vacancy: Parliamentary Communications Assistant
Location: Edinburgh or Dumfries (negotiable).
Salary: Commensurate with experience and Scottish Parliament remuneration guidelines (£20,725- £25,343 pro-rata)
Job details: Part time, 21 hours (negotiable)
Joan McAlpine MSP is recruiting a new parliamentary communications assistant. The successful candidate will have experience and/or a qualification in communications, either through working in the media or in a marketing public relations role. They will have excellent written communications skills and be able to write press releases quickly and accurately. They will also have a professional understanding of social media, digital communications and desk top publishing. The job also requires a strong interest in and understanding of Scottish politics and the issues affecting the south of Scotland in particular. The job will also entail dealing with constituent enquiries and other tasks as and when required. The job may occasionally involve evening and weekend work, either in the constituency or the Scottish parliament.
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
Educated to degree level or with commensurate experience, skills and knowledge be able to demonstrate the following attributes:
Specialist skills and experience
- Knowledge of relevant communications platforms including print, broadcast and social media and the ability to demonstrate how to engage effectively with these media to achieve impact
- The ability to identify and shape communications for the press, broadcast and social media
- Knowledge of how to successfully use communications strategies to achieve positive impact in a political environment
- A strong interest in and understanding of Scottish politics and the issues affecting the south of Scotland in particular
- Excellent interpersonal skills with a high level of diplomacy and ability to work effectively with people from a wide variety of backgrounds
- Ability to work to tight deadlines, producing high-quality communications in a fast-paced working environment
- Excellent written English, with proved ability to research and write accessible, clear communications materials and reports for a range of audiences
- Knowledge of communication strategies and the ability to demonstrate how different approaches can achieve impact in a political environment
How to apply:
To apply, please email a CV and covering letter, setting out why you’d like the post and how your experience matches the key knowledge, skills and abilities required (no more than 2 side of A4).
Email to Parliamentary Assistant Ruth Callander: Ruth.Callander@parliament.scot
Closing date: Friday 16th March, 5pm. Applications received after this deadline will not be considered.