SNP Conference Volunteer Steward
We are looking for more people to join our small but dedicated team of enthusiastic Conference Stewards to play a very important role in the smooth running of our Conference.
The primary role of a steward is to assist with the delivery of an enjoyable and safe experience for conference attendees.
- Greet conference attendees upon arrival and check passes
- Assist attendees to their seats and provide practical assistance in the auditorium where required
- Collect speaker request cards and appear on stage to present cards to the Business Convener
- Pay attention to the needs of attendees with special needs, including assisting with access to the stage, movement in and out of the auditorium and use of the assisted hearing system
- Respond quickly and positively to questions, requests, problems or complaints raised by attendees and to resolve them effectively and courteously
- Stand and monitor the behaviour of the conference attendees during sessions
- Direct attendees to venue facilities as required
- Deal effectively with latecomers
- Be vigilant at all times, with regard to the safety of the conference, your colleagues and yourself
- Have a good knowledge of the conference programme
- Help to clear the venue at the end of each session
The successful candidates will:
- have excellent communication and interpersonal skills to deal with a range of enquiries from attendees and have the ability to stay calm under pressure;
- be flexible, committed, punctual and reliable with a pro-active approach and a friendly and polite disposition;
- be able to maintain good humour even when tired;
- be comfortable working with a diverse range of people from fellow SNP members, high profile individuals and the media;
- be able to present themselves in a positive and professional manner at all times;
- have a willingness to work as part of a team, with patience and diplomacy;
- be able to work on own initiative; and
- be happy to wear SNP branded uniform and lanyard.
All stewards will need to:
- provide two references who know you in a formal capacity;
- attend conference for the full onsite dates required;
- be eligible to volunteer in the UK;
- have an excellent level of spoken English and able to understand, and respond to, written and spoken instructions and briefings; and
- be available from 12th – 15th October 2019.
We welcome applicants from all age ranges and backgrounds but they must be a current SNP Member, as Stewards are required to assist with internal sessions. No prior experience is needed and training will be provided.
The SNP always works alongside a dedicated security firm at all our conferences so you will not get involved in any security duties.
- Branded SNP Conference uniform
- On becoming a Steward, you will become part of a hard-working and supportive team behind the successful running of SNP Conference
- Free Steward Pass to attend SNP Conference with opportunity to attend Fringe events
- Free overnight accommodation throughout
- Reimbursed for reasonable food and travel expenses
- Gain valuable experience of helping to run a large-scale event
- You will make a valuable contribution to the SNP
We have limited places but all applications will be considered on a rolling basis for future SNP Conferences.
For consideration for SNP Conference in October 2019, applications must be submitted to email@example.com by 31st August 2019.
Interviews will be held the week beginning September 9th 2019.
Please apply using the application form here.
“Making the decision to volunteer at SNP Conference was an easy decision for me. I was always looking for different ways to be more involved in the party and this felt like a great opportunity. Having attended Conference over the years it was great to see and be part of it from a different angle. The experience and relationships built during my time have been invaluable. But most importantly for me, I loved that I was playing my part in something way bigger than me. Literally making history – can’t wait for the next one!”
Richy, Conference Steward