The SNP Parliamentary Group of MSPs is looking to employ a full time Senior Communications Officer with immediate effect.
- To promote the Parliamentary group position within the media, the Scottish Parliament and support MSPs in their relationship with the media
- Drafting press releases on political issues
- Liaising with broadcast media and briefing MSPs for media appearances
- Briefing national media on behalf of SNP MSPs
- Supporting MSPs to develop local press stories and campaigns
- Drafting of articles and media briefings
- Delivering communications across print, broadcast and online media
- Liaising with other SNP Groups, Ministers and Cabinet Secretaries
Skills and Experience
- Applicants should be able to demonstrate a wide range of political and communications skills
- Ability to respond quickly, to produce accurate information and to draft press releases and communications lines within tight time scales.
- Experience of developing and communicating consistent messages across a range of formats
- Understanding and experience of working with local media including developing local media stories or campaigns
- Experience of actively promoting news stories and setting media agenda
- Experience of using online media to communicate key messages and target new audiences
- Applicants must have a firm knowledge of current Scottish politics at all levels, the Scottish Parliamentary system and the Scottish media
- Must be able to work well within a small team and independently, and to respond flexibly and creatively to a range of requests.
In addition to the duties of a Communications Officer, the Senior Communications Officer will:
- Be lead contact in the Communications team, working closely with the Head of Communications and Research on day-to-day media strategy.
- Identify relevant news stories for the SNP Parliamentary Group to respond to.
- Come up with ideas to help the Group generate positive and/or original coverage.
- Come up with ideas for taking the week’s media coverage forward for weekend releases.
- Come up with ideas for weekend releases and encouraging all team members to do the same.
- Help to coordinate media bids, including liaising with the research team to ensure MSPs have the briefings they require for any bids.
- Help to ensure the SNP’s social media output is maintained on a daily basis.
- Help to coordinate what press releases are going out during the working day.
- Assist with training of new members of staff
- Be a positive and communicative representative for the SNP Parliamentary Group with the media – even under difficult circumstances.
Salary will be based on skills/experience.
Applicants should send a CV with cover letter, explaining their suitability for the position to firstname.lastname@example.org by 9am on Friday 25 June.
Applicants may also wish to include with their CVs any examples of their experience including press releases, articles and/or coverage obtained.
This internship opportunity, named after the late Bashir Ahmad – who was the first Asian MSP to sit at the Scottish Parliament – will be a paid position working for Anum Qaisar-Javed MP.
Jim Fairlie MSP is looking for an experienced Office Manager to join his team.
Jackie Dunbar MSP for Aberdeen Donside is looking to employ a Caseworker to work in her Constituency Office.
Martin Docherty-Hughes is seeking applications for a digital parliamentary intern who is passionate about technology.