Anne McLaughlin is currently recruiting for a permanent researcher based in her constituency office in Glasgow North East, though staff are currently working from home due to Covid-19.
Anne understands the barriers that can hold people back from applying for a position like this and so welcomes applications from those who might not feel they come from a traditional research background but who can demonstrate that they have developed these skills through other experience.
- Analyse, evaluate and interpret data to ensure Anne is accurately informed on key issues
- Assist in writing external communications
- Attend and participate in meetings as appropriate
- Take notes of meetings and draft appropriate submissions
- Develop and maintain current knowledge on relevant areas of parliamentary business
- Efficient data and file management
- Engage confidentially and professionally with care and integrity with members of the public
- Have working knowledge of relevant legislation and upcoming business including how they impact on the constituency
- Help draft briefing material
- Monitor social media activity and report any relevant trends
- Prepare and present briefing notes for committees, press releases, parliamentary questions etc.
- Assist with casework as required
- Provide general administrative support as required
- Respond to routine correspondence and enquiries
- Advise and ensure Anne is fully briefed on potential questions and motions to be put to the House
- Undertake research on relevant subjects as directed
- Work with colleagues to identify potential impacts from the research work
- Assist and support in project work
Applicants should have the following experience:
- Computer literate, very well organised and a good planner
- Excellent written communication skills
- Good analysis and summarising skills
- Able to work well in a team
- Good communication skills
- Able to demonstrate general administrative skills
- Monitoring media coverage and summarising key developments
- Good time management
- Able to work in a fast-paced environment
- Show initiative
- Knowledge of current affairs and parliament
The Researcher will be expected to ensure that work carried out in Anne’s name reflects her ethos, i.e. work with respect and compassion, to use their influence to fight for people’s rights and to take a holistic approach to supporting people.
This role is for 30-40 hours per week to be agreed with the successful applicant and is based in Glasgow though with travel to Westminster on occasion. Some evening work will be required along with occasional weekend work.
The salary will be in accordance with IPSA Pay Scales commensurate with experience. You will also benefit from a 10% employer’s pension contribution.
The successful candidate will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO).
How to apply
- Send a covering letter (not more than two pages of A4) that convinces Anne you can do the things that are crucial to this role. Also include your CV.
- If you have already sent your CV prior to this, please do so again with the covering letter.
- Deadline for applications is 5pm on 30 October 2020.
- Interviews will be on 9 and 10 November via Zoom. Candidates called for interview will be expected to complete a piece of work prior to the interview and on the day.
Email your application to firstname.lastname@example.org putting RESEARCHER APPLICATION in the subject line.
Tommy Sheppard MP is currently recruiting for a temporary part time Constituency/Communications Assistant until the end of March 2021.
Anne McLaughlin is currently recruiting for a temporary part-time administration officer until the end of March 2021.
Peter Grant MP is looking for a Communications Officer to provide maternity leave cover.
We are looking for a small but dedicated team of enthusiastic Digital Stewards to play a very important role in the smooth running of our online events.