Dave Doogan MP is hiring a full time Researcher to work in his constituency office in Angus, with duties also taking the successful candidate to Westminster.
The successful candidate will be an enthusiastic, self-directed professional working to a high degree of accuracy and to tight timescales.
The principal role will be researching and presenting key policy themes to and for the MP internally and in preparation for publication.
- Undertake research on relevant subjects as directed and independently
- Analyse, evaluate and interpret data to ensure the MP is accurately informed on key issues.
- Develop and maintain current knowledge on relevant areas of parliamentary business including motions, legislation, Hansard, debates etc.
- Monitor local, regional and national media coverage and brief the MP on relevant issues
- To advise and ensure the MP is fully briefed timeously on potential questions and motions to be put to the House
- Project work relevant to the MP’s specialisms
- Monitor social media activity and report any relevant trends to the Office Manager/MP
- Provide advice on policy issues
- Progress casework as required
- Develop working knowledge of relevant legislation and upcoming business including how this will impact on the constituency/specialisms
- Assist in writing external communications including speeches, motions and communications for the MP
- Compilation of briefing packs for MPs, take notes of meetings and draft appropriate submissions
- Maintain positive on-going relationships with all parties including members of the public, groups and Westminster colleagues where required
- Work with colleagues in communications/casework to identify potential impacts from the research work and disseminate them effectively
- There may be a requirement for the role holder to work outside of normal working hours and travel for work occasionally
- Help draft amendments for reports and prepare briefing material
Skills and experience
The successful candidate will:
- Be educated to degree level minimum
- Be able to research, understand and convey a wide variety of subjects
- Demonstrate an ability to work independently to demanding deadlines
- Add value to the dynamic of the existing small constituency team
- Have very good interpersonal skills
- Have outstanding communication skills both verbal and written
- Have excellent IT skills including for graphical presenting
- Be able to quickly develop in depth authoritative knowledge of issues
- Be generally sympathetic to the aims and values of the SNP
This post is physically based in the Angus Constituency office in Arbroath town centre and will require close working with SNP members’ staff in London and other constituencies and will include travel to London.
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Member’s Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: Wednesday 8 December 2021
Interviews: Tuesday 21 December 2021
Applications: Applicants should send their CV together with covering statement no longer than one side of A4 highlighting their suitability for this post to Dave.Doogan.firstname.lastname@example.org.
Collette Stevenson MSP is looking for an Admin Officer to join her team
Stuart McDonald MP is seeking a Parliamentary Assistant based in his local office in Cumbernauld.
The SNP Westminster Group are looking for a Senior Researcher to join their Finance & Economy group. The position will involve remote working initially, moving to hybrid system from early 2022, in London.
Martyn Day MP is seeking a Constituency Assistant to deal with a wide range of casework and policy issues.