The SNP Westminster Group is looking to recruit a full time Press Officer, to be based in London, with some home working
Reporting to the Senior Press Officer, and Director of Communications, the Press Officer will promote the work of the SNP’s team of 45 MPs through the media.
Location: House of Commons, Westminster, London. Currently working from home, and potential for hybrid working in the future.
Salary: Dependent on experience and in line with the pay scale for Press Officer (£26,912 to £37,408).
Based in Westminster, the Press Officer will be operating in a fast-paced political environment at the heart of the SNP Westminster Group. The successful candidate will play an important role in promoting the work of SNP MPs through print, online and broadcast media.
You will work with MPs, their offices, and the SNP press teams in London and Edinburgh to secure media coverage for SNP MPs. Work will include drafting press releases and comments, writing op eds, organising broadcast media interviews, arranging photo calls, briefing MPs, and involvement in other forms of media coverage.
You will act as a key media contact, liaising with internal teams and external partners, including newspapers, broadcasters, and digital media outlets. You will be able to demonstrate sound political and media judgement. You will be involved in identifying political issues and campaigns to promote through the media, monitoring media coverage, and participating in the development of our media plans and strategy.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Draft press releases, articles and comment on political issues
- Respond to media enquiries
- Monitor media coverage
- Arrange and attend media interviews with SNP MPs
- Meet journalists and foster good relations with the media
- Brief national media on behalf of SNP MPs
- Support MPs to develop press stories and campaigns
- Liaise with internal and external stakeholders
- Liaise with broadcast media and brief MPs for media appearances
- Applicants must be able to demonstrate excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to communicate persuasively.
- Attention to detail, including proofreading skills and accuracy.
- Ability to work effectively under pressure, respond quickly to developing events, produce accurate information, and draft press lines within tight time scales.
- Ability to plan and organise your time and resources effectively
- Sound political judgement and the ability to identify appropriate issues and lines for media coverage
- Experience of promoting news stories and setting the media agenda
- Experience of developing and communicating consistent messages across a range of formats
- Must be able to work well within a small team and independently, and to respond flexibly and creatively to a range of requests
- Willingness to work flexible hours in line with the parliamentary timetable – some weekend and evening work will be required
- Applicants must have a firm knowledge of the SNP, Scottish politics, the UK’s political and parliamentary systems, and an understanding of the UK/Scottish media
We are keen to hear from candidates from a wide variety of backgrounds. Applications are encouraged from those with relevant experience whether that is work, voluntary or educational.
Application Details: Applicants should complete and send the application form to firstname.lastname@example.org by 23:59 (GMT) on Sunday 17th October 2021.
Download Application-Form-Press-Officer here. Applicants should put “Press Officer” in the title of the email. Late applications will not be accepted.
Closing date: 23:59 (GMT) on Sunday 17th October 2021
Pete Wishart MP is looking to recruit a full-time constituency support officer, to be based in Perth, with some home working.
Peter Grant MP is seeking applications for the position of Senior Communications Officer, working part-time at home and at the constituency office in Glenrothes.
Stephanie Callaghan MSP is looking for a part-time Casework Assistant to join her team.
Stephanie Callaghan MSP is looking for a full-time Senior Caseworker to join her team.