Job Title: Parliamentary Adviser for the SNP Westminster Group
Working Hours: Full-time
Length of Contract: Permanent
Salary: From A/3 (£35,442) plus 10% employer pension contribution and 30 days annual leave
Description: Reporting to the Director of Parliamentary & Legislative Affairs, the Parliamentary Adviser will assist the Whips’ Office team in advising Members and staff on Parliamentary procedure and daily timetables.
This is a pivotal role that will put the successful applicant at the heart of developments in Scottish and UK politics. Applicants must have previous parliamentary or legislative experience. A strong record in planning, strategy, and management skills is required.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist the Director and Adviser in the management of the daily urgent parliamentary business and the business of General Committees
- Assist the Director and Adviser in the assignation of Members to Select Committees, in the distribution of parliamentary questions to Members and Staff, in the distribution of internal information to Members and Staff and on Standing Orders and Parliamentary conventions
- Liaise with officials of the House of Commons when requested by the Advisors or Whips
- Manage and update the Vote Record
- Experience as a legislative staffer for a Member or parliamentary group
- A strong commitment to the aims and values of the SNP
- A strategic and innovative thinker who understands the political environment, interpersonal relations, and an understanding of parliamentary norms
- Strong planning, organisational and project management skills
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills, including team and relationship-building, networking, influencing and negotiation skills
- Ability to apply quick, critical thinking to respond to fast-moving political situations
- A strong record of adaptability and flexibility, including a willingness to work evenings and weekends when necessary
- Excellent knowledge and understanding of the SNP, Scottish and UK politics
- An understanding of and commitment to fairness and equality
We are keen to hear from candidates from a wide variety of backgrounds.
Application Details: Applicants should send a CV and cover letter indicating how they meet the person specification to email@example.com using the subject “Parliamentary Adviser”.
Application Deadline: Applications will be received up to 23:59 on 15 September and interviews will be in September.
Graeme Dey MSP is looking for a Constituency Assistant to join his team, based out of his office in Arbroath.
Tommy Sheppard MP is recruiting a Constituency Assistant on a casual basis, based in his busy constituency office in Portobello.
Christina McKelvie MSP is recruiting a part-time Communications Officer, based in her busy constituency office in Hamilton.
Patricia Gibson MP is recruiting a Constituency Support Officer, based in her busy constituency office in Ardrossan.