This is an exciting opportunity to lead the team of one of Scotland’s most dynamic and outspoken MPs.
The combined role of Office Manager and Senior Parliamentary Assistant will mean taking on the responsibilities as Chief of Staff, managing the constituency office in Edinburgh East, providing support for all aspects of Tommy’s role as an MP and leading his small but dedicated and hardworking team.
If you have the passion, commitment and skills to take on this opportunity, we want to hear from you.
Job description and person specification
Salary: Between £34,000 and £40,000 dependent on experience.
Job Details: Full time/Permanent. Some out of office hours working will be required but time off in lieu will be available subject to agreement.
Location: Constituency Office in Portobello (initially home working in line with Scottish government Covid-19 guidance). Some travel to London will be required.
Summary of Core Responsibilities:
- Manage the MP’s office team including all aspects of recruitment, training, performance, discipline and wellbeing.
- Ensure that the office is compliant with all relevant legislation, including data protection, and parliamentary rules.
- Oversee all aspects of office administration from budget management to ensuring the office is fully equipped.
- Plan and anticipate what advice or action may be required; proactively identify and resolve problems.
- Analyse, evaluate and interpret data to ensure the MP is accurately informed on key issues
- Provide high quality, efficient and effective support to the MP in relation to committees, parliamentary questions and other relevant Westminster work.
- Lead the delivery of the MP’s objectives through highly effective communication, social media and website presence and content.
- Respond to correspondence and enquiries from constituents, the media, lobbyists and pressure groups.
- Monitor media coverage, liaise with media, prepare press releases as required (on non-party political matters).
A full list of responsibilities can be seen here.
The post holder will have:
- Demonstrable leadership skills
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- The ability to prioritise and work under pressure
- Excellent administrative and organisational skills
- Attention to detail
- Ability to make decisions and take ownership
- An appreciation of the responsibilities involved in dealing with sensitive and confidential information
- A depth of understanding of an MPs role
- Ability to analyse evidence to provide advice and guidance to the MP
- Confidence to share views and to have a robust and respectful debate when views differ
- Willingness to adapt and respond to a rapidly changing environment
- Competent use of IT, in particular MS Office, and the ability to adapt quickly to new software
- Although not essential, it is likely that the successful candidate will have experience of working in a political environment and a knowledge and understanding of contemporary Scottish politics and the aims of the SNP
A CV and covering letter demonstrating how you meet the person specification should be sent to email@example.com with the subject header “Office Manager Application”.
Applications will close on Tuesday 29th June at 5pm with interviews taking place on the 7th and 8thJuly. They are likely to take place virtually in line with Scottish government guidance.
Any offer of employment will be subject to successful completion of the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO)
The personal data you provide in your application and as part of the recruitment process will only be held and processed for the purpose of the selection processes by Tommy Sheppard MP and in connection with any subsequent employment or placement.
Your data will be retained securely for a maximum of one year after the application deadline then destroyed. By submitting your application, you are giving your consent to the processing of the information contained in it and any other personal data you may provide separately for this purpose.
This internship opportunity, named after the late Bashir Ahmad – who was the first Asian MSP to sit at the Scottish Parliament – will be a paid position working for Anum Qaisar-Javed MP.
Jim Fairlie MSP is looking for an experienced Office Manager to join his team.
Jackie Dunbar MSP for Aberdeen Donside is looking to employ a Caseworker to work in her Constituency Office.
Martin Docherty-Hughes is seeking applications for a digital parliamentary intern who is passionate about technology.