JOB TITLE: Office Manager
LOCATION: Dalkeith, Midlothian (with occasional travel to Parliament in Edinburgh)
SALARY & BENEFITS: c. £31,000 per annum depending on skills and abilities
Reporting to: Colin Beattie MSP
Direct Reporting Staff: Four plus an Intern (periodic)
Colin Beattie, MSP for Midlothian North and Musselburgh, is looking for an Office Manager to join his team.
MSPs are employers in their own right. Under their employment, you will become part of a team supporting them in carrying out their duties. You’ll work in a dynamic and fast paced environment to provide an outstanding service for constituents.
- Carrying out general office administration and acting as front of office for enquiries.
- Responding to all incoming correspondence while professionally managing each enquiry within agreed timescales.
- Coordinating, tracking and monitoring the handling of enquiries and ensuring they are dealt with timely and professionally.
- Ensuring that all new electors receive a letter from the MSP welcoming them.
- Maintaining office records and compliance with data protection.
- Maintaining filing system and managing records.
- Ensuring compliance with data protection legislation and GDPR requirements.
- Maintaining electoral database using Lothian JVB data.
- Organising diary commitments and preparing for all activities.
- Arranging surgeries, meetings and travel.
- Arranging briefing papers and speeches.
- Communicating with parliamentary officials.
- Representing on my behalf as and when required.
- Acting in a supervisory capacity for the team and oversight of office maintenance.
- Managing office budget in line with the Reimbursement of Members Expenses Scheme, Allowances Office and People and Culture Office.
- Managing constituency accounts, premises and equipment.
- Managing staff and reviewing their performance.
- Overseeing health and safety and staff wellbeing.
- Following all media outlets to capture relevant developments as they happen.
- Maintaining information systems to support communications.
- Producing materials that effectively convey my aims to the general public and media.
- Keeping up to date with current media developments.
- Building and maintaining relationships with stakeholders.
- Corresponding with constituents and local campaign groups.
- Producing high quality press briefings, speeches, presentations and written materials.
- Identifying potential media opportunities and acting as a media contact.
- Identifying forthcoming events, in turn promoting my work.
- Have excellent written, verbal and IT skills with accurate attention to detail.
- Have experience of managing staff with the ability to nurture and build effective teams.
- Be empathetic with the ability to build and maintain relationships with a variety of stakeholders.
- Be confident in managing budgets for staff resources and office provisions.
- Have a flexible and adaptable approach, being able to use good judgement and work on own initiative.
- Be well organised with the ability to prioritise competing workloads.
- Be capable in monitoring media developments and sourcing information from a range of channels.
- Be comfortable being in a front facing role explaining regulations such as GDPR to the general public.
- Clean UK Drivers licence required
For any questions about the role please contact Colin Beattie MSP on Colin.Beattie.MSP@parliament.scot.
To apply please send a CV and supporting statement to Colin.Beattie.MSP@parliament.scot.
Closing date for applications is 09/07/2021
This internship opportunity, named after the late Bashir Ahmad – who was the first Asian MSP to sit at the Scottish Parliament – will be a paid position working for Anum Qaisar-Javed MP.
Jim Fairlie MSP is looking for an experienced Office Manager to join his team.
Jackie Dunbar MSP for Aberdeen Donside is looking to employ a Caseworker to work in her Constituency Office.
Martin Docherty-Hughes is seeking applications for a digital parliamentary intern who is passionate about technology.