This is an exciting opportunity to join the Leadership Office of the Scottish National Party’s Westminster Group (SNP-WM) in the House of Commons. The successful candidate will play a collaborative and important role within our small team overseeing the Group’s annual budget and staff finances.
Job description and person specification
Salary: Between £43,060 and £50,596 per annum [pro-rata, to £25,836 – £30,358] dependent on experience.
Job Details: 3 days per week.
Location: House of Commons, Westminster, London. Currently working from home, and potential for hybrid working in the future.
Summary of Core Responsibilities:
- Manage the Group’s financial management, reporting and control activities and ensure these are carried out efficiently, effectively and in line with accounting standards and best practice
- Develop the Group’s resource management plans by delivering analysis, planning, budgeting & forecasting advice
- Produce and present rationale for annual and quarterly budget revisions.
- Manage the Group’s purchasing function to ensure it has all the resources required within annual team budgets agreed (ie, for training and supplies) as well as in-house facilities services for MPs and Staff.
- Build relationships and communicate with all key stakeholders – Auditors, House of Commons authorities, IPSA, external consultants, Executive group members, the bank and SNP Headquarters on SNP-WM operational matters as relevant.
- Oversee monthly payroll/pension processes and liaise with payroll administrator, including changes in annual salaries, departure and new staff
- Managing the audit process twice a year
- Managing invoices and repeating bills, such as phone contracts
- General banking, including account reconciliations, quarterly expense tracking and Xero processes
- Annual performance review management for staff
- Procurement of office equipment
- Liaison with House of Commons Digital Service on technology needs on the Estate
- Liaison with team leaders to manage subscriptions
- Liaison with House of Commons Estate Maintenance for repairs, bookings, etc
- Escort guests to the Leadership Office
- Experience of financial forecasting, scenario planning, budget management and payroll
- Sound understanding of financial and management accounting, including public sector fiduciary responsibilities.
- Ability to engage and negotiate with a range of internal and external stakeholders of all levels.
- Excellent administrative and organisational skills
- Attention to detail
- Ability to make decisions and take ownership
- Ability to prioritise and work under pressure
- An appreciation of the responsibilities involved in dealing with sensitive and confidential information
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Excellent interpersonal and written/verbal communication skills
- Flexible and proactive approach to work
- Analytical skills to evaluate data and make operational decisions and, where relevant, advise on best courses of action with the Executive.
- Willingness to adapt and respond to a rapidly changing environment
- Competent use of IT, in particular MS Office, and the ability to adapt quickly to new software
- Accountancy qualification, or other relevant studies
- Experience working in banking and finance
- Knowledge of account management and budgeting software, such as Xero
- Knowledge of the House of Commons fiduciary systems and contacts.
- Demonstrable senior level stakeholder management and the ability to work as part of a multi-functional team
- Experience of working in a political environment
- Knowledge and understanding of contemporary Scottish politics and the aims of the SNP
A CV and covering letter demonstrating how you meet the person specification should be sent via Indeed before 5pm on the closing date.
Applications will close at 5pm on Wednesday 28th July. Expected start date as soon as possible.
Any offer of employment will be subject to successful completion of the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO)
We are committed to managing your personal information securely and with respect in accordance with the General Data Protection requirements.
Most information is transmitted by email and is stored on our computers, and paper based filing. We use Microsoft Sharepoint which covers our email servers and cloud-based file storage system.
All this information can only be accessed by authorised staff within our Company. Our staff are trained to understand the importance of keeping personal data secure.
Our computers are safeguarded by anti-virus software and the regular changing of security passwords.
The information on candidates for specific roles will be held for 6 months in line with CIPD recommended best practice. After which paper files will be securely shredded and computer records deleted. Only if we have asked, and you have given your consent for the data to be held will this not apply.
Kirsten Oswald MP is looking to employ a caseworker based in her East Renfrewshire constituency office, though home working is currently encouraged.
The SNP Westminster Group is looking to recruit a full time Press Officer, to be based in London, with some home working
Amy Callaghan MP and Marie McNair MSP are looking for a full-time Communications Officer to join their team with immediate effect.
Angela Crawley MP is looking to employ a full-time Communications Officer based in her constituency office in Hamilton. This is an exciting opportunity for an enthusiastic and highly capable individual to join Angela’s constituency team and support her work as the Member of Parliament for Lanark and Hamilton East. The successful candidate must be able…