Tommy Sheppard MP is recruiting a Constituency Assistant on a casual basis, based in his busy constituency office in Portobello. This is an exciting opportunity for an enthusiastic, motivated, and hard-working individual to be part of the team that supports Tommy’s work for the constituents of Edinburgh East.
Working for: Tommy Sheppard MP for Edinburgh East
Job Title: Constituency Assistant (casual)
Location: Constituency Office, Portobello
Working Hours: Part-time – (approximately 16 hours per week)
Duration: Fixed for approximately 6 weeks
Salary: £21,529 – £34,599 (pro-rata), in line with IPSA Pay Scales. You will also benefit from a 10% employer’s pension contribution.
Tommy Sheppard MP is seeking to recruit a Constituency Assistant (casual) based in his constituency office in Portobello. The successful candidate will work to support Tommy in his role as an MP.
This is a perfect opportunity for someone with exceptional communication skills, and a positive attitude to work. Experience of working or volunteering in a political environment is preferred.
Applicants should have a strong understanding of local and national politics, and good knowledge of the Edinburgh East constituency.
Responsibilities will include:
- Administrative and general support for the work of the MP and constituency office
- Retaining records and information accurately, confidentially, and in line with GDPR
- Any other reasonable tasks as assigned by the MP or Chief-of-Staff
- Motivated to work independently as well as the ability to work effectively as part of a small team
- Positive approach to work
- Sympathetic to the aims and values of the Scottish National Party
- Outstanding level of interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong understanding of local and national politics
- Ability to accurately record information and ensure compliance with GDPR
- Excellent IT skills including confident use of MS Office applications
- Good knowledge of the Edinburgh East constituency
- Experience of working or volunteering in a political environment
- Experience of office administration
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO).
How to apply: Applicants should submit their CV together with a covering letter explaining why they would like the role and how their skills and experience correspond to the job description to email@example.com.
Tommy is keen to hear from candidates from a wide variety of backgrounds. If you require any reasonable adjustments, please get in touch.
Please note late applications and those received without both a CV and a suitable covering letter will not be considered.
Closing Date: Friday 8th September 2023
Graeme Dey MSP is looking for a Constituency Assistant to join his team, based out of his office in Arbroath.
Christina McKelvie MSP is recruiting a part-time Communications Officer, based in her busy constituency office in Hamilton.
Patricia Gibson MP is recruiting a Constituency Support Officer, based in her busy constituency office in Ardrossan.
The Parliamentary Adviser will assist the Whips’ Office team in advising Members and staff on Parliamentary procedure and daily timetables.