Shirley-Anne Somerville MSP is looking to employ a full time Communications/Press Officer to work in her busy Dunfermline Constituency Office. Option to be based in the Scottish Parliament (Tuesday to Thursday) with Monday and Friday in her Constituency Office available.
This role will involve some evening and weekend working hours when required.
This is an exciting opportunity for an enthusiastic and capable individual to join Shirley-Anne’s team and support her work as MSP for Dunfermline.
*** This is a re-advertisement, previous applicants need not apply ***
Salary – £24000 Per Annum
Hours – 35 hours per week – predominately Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm – time off during these hours will be given as compensation for any evening/weekend work undertaken.
A full driver’s license and access to own transport is preferred but not essential.
- Maintain social media presence in the constituency, publicise surgeries and work of the MSP.
- Follow up on social media queries and comments
- Drafting Press Releases
- Pro-active and re-active communications with all media
- Produce infographic material and video content
- Constituent case work as required
- Respond to routine correspondence and enquiries from constituents, lobbyists and pressure groups.
- Gathering relevant information and interacting with Government departments and other agencies to assist with constituent enquiries and resolving cases
- Keep an accurate log of all casework on caseworker system
- Drafting responses to constituents
- Project & Event management
- Attending surgeries & meetings with the MSP as required
- Manage MSP diary
- Research local, regional and national issues to support the MSP’s work
- Proactively making connections and engaging with local stakeholders to ensure the MSP is accessible at all times and organising visits to local groups/organisations/businesses.
- Representing the MSP at events, meetings and public engagements
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate they have:
- Knowledge of Dunfermline and West Fife
- A flexible approach to working hours
- Understanding of Scottish and Local Government politics
- Excellent written and verbal communications
- Experience of working with a diverse range of people, including those with complex needs and issues
- Experience in working collaboratively with external organisations
- Excellent organisational and time management skills
- Ability to build and maintain a network of professional contacts
- A positive team oriented attitude but also an ability to work independently
- The ability to work under pressure and the ability to meet tight deadlines
- Computer literate – must have good working knowledge of Excel, Word, Email systems and social media content
- Able to work with diplomacy, discretion and confidentiality
- Have the confidence to attend events and meet with local stakeholders to address issues
- Sympathetic to the aims and values of the Scottish National Party
How to apply
Please send a CV and covering letter to Shirley-Anne via email to email@example.com
(please also CC this to firstname.lastname@example.org) detailing how you would meet the above requirements.
The closing date for applications is 9am on Friday 7th February; Interviews will take place on Friday 21st February at Shirley-Anne’s constituency office.
Stephen Flynn MP is seeking an enthusiastic, hardworking and motivated individual to join his new team in Aberdeen South.
Bruce Crawford MSP, Member of the Scottish Parliament for Stirling, and Alyn Smith MP, Member of Parliament for Stirling are seeking a hard-working and enthusiastic Communications Officer to work across both Westminster and Holyrood parliaments.
Peter Grant MP is seeking a senior caseworker/caseworker (maternity cover) to work at his office in Glenrothes.
An opportunity has arisen for a temporary Caseworker to join Colin Beattie MSP in local constituency office in Dalkeith.