Job Title: Caseworker
Salary: £22,108 (pro rata)
Working pattern: 4 days a week
Fixed Term: 3 month contract to provide sickness cover, with possibility to extend
Colin is looking for a temporary Caseworker to join his local constituency office in Dalkeith.
He offers 25 days’ annual leave and 10.5 days’ public holidays (pro rata). You will also be able to join a group personal pension scheme that attracts an employer’s contribution of 10% of salary.
Colin is contacted every day by people with a range of issues, concerns and problems, and he is looking for a Caseworker to be the primary point of contact for these constituents. You’ll provide him with support by investigating issues raised and work out how best to help those in need. You will also deal with general public enquiries, maintain records and systems, arrange surgeries and support the work of the wider team.
- dealing with general public enquiries
- dealing with casework effectively and efficiently, investigating and responding to issues raised through correspondence, telephone calls, emails and surgeries
- monitoring local websites, news links, newspapers, Twitter, Facebook and any other social media sites firstly to identify community and constituency concerns and issues which should be taken up by the office
- communicating, and building relationships with Governmental agencies, local authorities, private sector organisations, charities and other organisations to resolve matters on behalf of constituents
- regularly monitoring the status of ongoing casework, and coordinating with other staff, ensuring all enquiries are answered within the agreed timescale
- establishing and maintaining policy resource files
- maintaining an electronic and manual filing system in line with GDPR requirements, associating previous papers with current correspondence and extracting documents on request
- conducting basic research and surveys
- maintaining the casework tracking system and ensuring it is up to date
- arranging, advertising and attending surgeries and community events as required
- drafting correspondence and reports as required
You’ll be someone who enjoys working in a small team and able to show compassion whilst remaining objective when dealing with sensitive issues. You need to be able to demonstrate:
- strong organisational/administrative and IT skills with good attention to detail
- you relate well to people with good written and verbal communication skills
- knowledge of local constituency/regional issues with the ability to maintain and build on this knowledge
- analytical skills and the ability to identify issues and investigate them
- knowledge of Scottish political scene
- the ability to work well in a small team
- a flexible and adaptable approach with good initiative
- the ability to manage and prioritise a caseload of work that may increase at times
- previous relevant experience may be helpful (for instance providing advice, support or advocacy)
- the ability to work in a confidential manner at all times
Closing date: 5pm on February 12th, 2020
To apply, send a copy of your CV along with a supporting statement covering how you meet the requirements set out above to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Caseworker Application”.
As an employer Colin is committed to promoting equality of opportunity and treatment and to eliminating unfair discrimination in his employment practices. He values diversity and welcomes applications from all backgrounds. All appointments are made on merit.
Stephen Flynn MP is seeking an enthusiastic, hardworking and motivated individual to join his new team in Aberdeen South.
Bruce Crawford MSP, Member of the Scottish Parliament for Stirling, and Alyn Smith MP, Member of Parliament for Stirling are seeking a hard-working and enthusiastic Communications Officer to work across both Westminster and Holyrood parliaments.
Peter Grant MP is seeking a senior caseworker/caseworker (maternity cover) to work at his office in Glenrothes.
The SNP Westminster Group is looking to recruit a Senior Researcher focused on Scotland and the Constitution.