Anne McLaughlin is currently recruiting for a case worker who will also act as a support officer in the constituency. The job will be based in her Springburn constituency office in Glasgow North East. Anne is envisaging a case work support role. However, if you are an experienced case worker who can hit the ground running, we are open to considering all options.
Post: This is a temporary post until 31 March 2023. However for the right person, this post could become permanent as long as our budget can accommodate it.
Location: Constituency office in Springburn, Glasgow but possibly some hybrid working in line with the office rota is possible. There may be travel to Westminster on occasion.
Salary: In accordance with IPSA Pay Scales commensurate with experience. You will also benefit from a 10% employer’s pension contribution.
Hours: 30 hours per week, Monday – Friday with occasional evening or weekend work but generally hours will be within the office normal day time working hours, 9.30am- 5.30pm, Monday to Friday.
Anne understands the barriers that can hold people back from applying for a position in an MP’s office and welcomes applications from anyone who can demonstrate they have the skills to do this job.
- Respond to routine correspondence and enquiries from constituents
- Gather relevant information to assist with resolving cases
- Deal with large numbers of standard queries as well as assisting on more complex cases
- Communicate by phone, email, social media, online meeting platforms and face to face
- Log all cases, monitor progress and ensure all identified actions are taken
- Ensure that each case is dealt with promptly, sensitively, confidentially and accurately
- Ensure records are kept and information managed in line with data protection legislation
- Assist at MP advice surgeries and other meetings and follow up as appropriate
- Critically analyse patterns of enquiries and articulate the findings
- Attend training and keep up-to-date with matters affecting constituents
- Provide general administrative support as required
- Assist and support in project work as required
- Meet and build relationships with local organisations and campaigns
- Support all aspects of MP’s work in the constituency
Applicants should have the following experience/skills:
- Able to demonstrate empathy
- Find it easy to relate to people from all different backgrounds
- Care about people and have a desire to help them
- Be friendly and approachable
- Be non judgemental
- Able to build connections and trust with constituents
- Tactful in your approach to people
- Excellent listening skills
- Able to process large amounts of information to get the core issue of a problem
- Computer literate, very well organised and a good planner
- Able to learn new systems quickly
- Excellent communication skills
- Good analysis and summarising skills
- Able to work collaboratively and supportively with colleagues
- Able to demonstrate general administrative skills
- Good time management
- Able to work in a fast-paced environment
- Show initiative
- Knowledge of current affairs
- Attention to detail
- Knowledge of the constituency
The case worker will be expected to ensure that work carried out in Anne’s name reflects her ethos, i.e. to work with respect and compassion, to use their influence to fight for people’s rights and to take a holistic approach to supporting people.
The successful candidate will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO).
How to apply
Send a covering letter (not more than two pages of A4) that convinces Anne that you can do the things that are crucial to this role. Also include your CV (not more than three pages of A4) and attach these to the email.
Deadline for applications is 1pm on 1st September.
Interviews will be held in person at the constituency office. Candidates called for interview may be asked to complete a piece of work prior to the interview and/or on the day. Candidates may be asked to take part in a second interview. First interviews will be held by Friday 16th September.
Email your application to Office Manager, Margaret Young at firstname.lastname@example.org putting Case Worker Application in the subject line.
Stephen Flynn MP is seeking an enthusiastic, hardworking and motivated individual to join his team in Aberdeen South.
Gillian Martin MSP is looking to recruit a parliamentary and communications assistant to cover a period of maternity leave, based in the Scottish Parliament.
Graeme Dey MSP is looking for a Constituency Assistant to join his team for a fixed-term period of 12 months.
Amy Callaghan MP is seeking to employ a Parliamentary Assistant based in Westminster.