Ben Macpherson MSP (Edinburgh Northern and Leith) is looking for a hard-working and enthusiastic individual to join his team as a Constituency Assistant.
Salary: £24,000 per annum
Hours: Full time (35 hours a week)
Based: Local constituency office
To provide full administrative support without the need for supervision, ensuring the Member is fully supported, including managing all aspects of the diary, replying to correspondence, providing support for meetings and surgeries. You will also be responsible for providing support with casework and community engagement, basic research, external communications and working with the media.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supporting the MSP’s Constituency work, including communications via e-mail, letter and telephone, maintaining and managing the MSP’s diary and providing support for meetings;
- Drafting letters, emails and other documents, as required;
- Taking enquiries from constituents and stakeholders where appropriate;
- Liaising with Councillors, officials, Parliament staff, MSPs, MPs and MEPs;
- Maintaining an electronic filing system and the casework tracking system;
- Maintaining an appointments diary for the MSP, arranging and cancelling appointments, meeting and greeting visitors as required;
- Assisting in preparing for visits, events, meetings, surgeries and other constituency and parliamentary activities as required;
- Extracting and compiling papers and briefing notes for meetings;
- Attending meetings and events as and when required;
- Making travel arrangements and organising surgeries;
- Attending surgeries when required to assist the MSP in dealing with constituent issues;
- Providing support with casework, including working with the caseworkers to deal with and manage casework and investigating and responding to issues raised through correspondence, telephone calls, emails and surgeries;
- Providing basic research, including providing timely and accurate research on a wide range of policy issues, delivering written and oral briefings as required, and creating newsletters, reports and other external written materials, including proactively engaging internal and external expertise where appropriate;
- Updating the MSP’s website and social media as requested;
- Assisting with the creation of social media content as requested;
- Working with the media as requested to promote the MSP’s work locally and nationally, including monitoring the media keeping the MSP briefed and up to date on developments, and drafting basic press briefings, speeches, articles, presentations and other written materials;
- General administrative duties as required.
Skills and Experience
You should be able to demonstrate the following:
- Strong communication skills
- Proficiency in the use of IT
- Excellent writing skills
- Self-motivation with an ability to work on your own initiative
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team
- Flexible approach to working in line with business needs
- Ability to produce accurate output in a busy work environment and prioritise accordingly
- Attention to detail
- Working in a confidential manner at all times
Experience using Microsoft Publisher and basic video editing software for social media would be desirable.
To apply, please send a copy of your CV and a covering letter demonstrating how you meet the requirements above to email@example.com by 12 noon on Friday 28 June.
Please use Constituency Assistant application as the subject of your email.
Interviews will likely be held on 4th / 5th of July.
A full time position of Parliamentary Officer has arisen in the Constituency Office of John Mason, MSP for Glasgow Shettleston. This role will be based in Glasgow Shettleston Constituency office with occasional travel through to the Scottish Parliament being required. Flexible working on occasion may be required, particularly in the evenings. Title: Parliamentary Officer…
Are you interested in working in a fast-paced political environment? Do you have the skills to combine constituency casework with parliamentary process? Carol Monaghan MP is offering a paid internship in her London office, based in the Houses of Parliament. This position will commence in September and will run until July 2020. The successful candidate…
Gillian Martin MSP and Stewart Stevenson MSP are looking to recruit a communications officer to cover a period of maternity leave, based in the Scottish Parliament. The post will be for an initial fixed period of 6 months, with the possibility of extension for a further period. The post will be for 35 hours a…