Shirley-Anne Somerville MSP is looking to employ a full time Constituency Assistant, based in her busy constituency office in Dunfermline. This role will involve some evening and weekend working hours when required.
This is an exciting opportunity for an enthusiastic and capable individual to join Shirley-Anne’s team and support her work as MSP for Dunfermline.
Salary – £19500 Per Annum
Hours - 35 hours per week - predominately Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm – time off during these hours will be given as compensation for any evening/weekend work undertaken.
A full driver’s license and access to own transport is essential.
- Respond to routine correspondence and enquiries from constituents, lobbyists and pressure groups.
- Gathering relevant information and interacting with Government departments and other agencies to assist with constituent enquiries and resolving cases
- Keep an accurate log of all casework on caseworker system
- Drafting responses to constituents
- Project & Event management
- Attending surgeries & meetings with the MSP as required
- Administrative Support to MSP & Office Manager
- Research local, regional and national issues to support the MSP’s work
- Proactively making connections and engaging with local stakeholders to ensure the MSP is accessible at all times
- Keep the MSP fully briefed on all local issues as required
- Representing the MSP at events, meetings and public engagements
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate they have:
- Knowledge of Dunfermline and West Fife
- A flexible approach to working hours
- Understanding of Scottish and Local Government politics
- Good written and verbal communications
- Experience of working with a diverse range of people, including those with complex needs and issues
- Experience in working collaboratively with external organisations
- Excellent organisational and time management skills
- Ability to build and maintain a network of professional contacts
- A positive team oriented attitude but also an ability to work independently
- The ability to work under pressure and the ability to meet tight deadlines
- Computer literate – must have good working knowledge of Excel, Word and Email systems
- Able to work with diplomacy, discretion and confidentiality
- Have the confidence to attend events and meet with local stakeholders to address issues
- Sympathetic to the aims and values of the Scottish National Party
How to apply
Please send a CV and covering letter to Shirley-Anne via email to firstname.lastname@example.org detailing how you would meet the above requirements. The closing date for applications is 9am on Monday 22nd January, Interviews will take place on Friday 2nd February at Shirley-Anne’s constituency office.