Emma Harper MSP (South Scotland Region) is seeking an effective, enthusiastic, committed individual to join her team as a full time Communications and Press Officer, based between her constituency office in Dumfries and her office in the Scottish Parliament.
Job purpose: To work with Emma Harper MSP to promote her parliamentary work by liaising with all sections of the media along with organising interviews and press conferences, producing high quality written materials, maintaining administrative and information systems and supervising/line managing staff as appropriate.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Liaising effectively with all sections of the media including political and specialist journalists, editors and other spokespeople for external organisations;
- Establishing a broad range of contacts within the press, broadcast and online media in order to promote the work of the MSP;
- Producing high quality press briefings, quality speeches, presentations and written materials;
- Working with the MSP to promote her parliamentary work nationally and locally;
- Identifying forthcoming events which may provide potential media opportunities;
- Monitoring the media, keeping the MSP briefed and up to date on developments;
- Organising interviews and press conferences on behalf of the MSP and accompany them on request;
- Developing e-communications with constituents and groups campaigning on local issues across the constituency;
- Using and monitoring social media channels to communicate with all stakeholders;
- Maintaining administrative and information systems, to support communications work in the parliament/constituency;
- Updating social media sites and website
- Working in a flexible and confidential manner at all times and as part of a team;
- Supervising/line managing staff as appropriate;
- Liaising with Councillors, officials, Parliament staff, other MSPs, MPs and MEPs.
- Excellent communication skills;
- Attention to detail;
- Strong organisational skills, with the ability to prioritise workload;
- Ability to work to deadlines;
- A strong work ethic, enthusiastic and reliable;
- Flexible and adaptable in approach, demonstrating initiative;
- Ability to work as part of a team;
- Strong interpersonal skills;
- Experience of dealing with sensitive and confidential information;
- Excellent IT skills, with demonstrable working knowledge of Microsoft Office.
- Experience of using social media;
- Experience and/or knowledge of how the Scottish Parliament functions;
- Knowledge of the South Scotland Region, especially the South West;
- Knowledge of Rural Policy
- Experience of working with the media;
- Experience of using MailChimp;
- Experience of using digital publishing programs.
Salary: £24,000 (per annum) This appointment will be subject to a probationary period of six months.
Full Time: 35hrs
Location: Constituency Office in Dumfries and Parliamentary Office in Edinburgh – (flexibility required)
Closing Date: Sunday 29th April
To apply, please send a copy of your CV and a supporting statement in email to email@example.com. Please detail the subject of the email as “Application - Communications Press Officer”. Interviews will take place on Monday 7th and Friday 11th May.