Campaign for a fair deal for 2014

The SNP’s Lottery spokesman at Westminster Pete Wishart MP today welcomed the cross party campaign for £150 million of lottery funding to be invested in a Scotland wide legacy for the Commonwealth Games and urged Scots across the country to show their support. 

His comments come as the Scotland on Sunday newspaper joined the campaign for a Fair Deal for Glasgow 2014 – a campaign which also has the support of the Scottish Government, Glasgow City Council, Scottish Labour politicians and CBI Scotland.


SNP MP for Perth and North Perthshire Pete Wishart said:

“The 2014 Commonwealth Games are an opportunity to build a lasting legacy of sport across Scotland. 

“Our Olympic successes in Beijing have inspired people to get on their bikes, to go to the gym or to try out sports like sailing or canoeing for the first time. 

“The 2014 Commonwealth Games in Glasgow offer an even bigger boost as our young people aspire to compete in the Games and people across Scotland get into the sporting mood.

“The Scottish Government is funding 80% of the Commonwealth Games with Glasgow City Council putting forward the other 20%.  What the Lottery could and should be doing is providing £150 million of funding, similar to the amount of Scotland’s lottery funding invested in the London Olympics, to invest in a lasting legacy of top quality facilities across Scotland to support the impact the Games will have. 

“Lottery funding could help build new cycling facilities, improve pools across the country or help local amateur sports clubs improve their own facilities. 

“With Lottery money supporting the Manchester Commonwealth Games and the London Olympics a contribution to Scotland’s Commonwealth legacy is a fair deal. 

“This is a huge opportunity to build a legacy, to increase participation in sport, to get Scotland active and to improve not just our medals tally but our long term health and activity levels. 

“This cross party campaign is one the whole of Scotland can get behind to see the benefits of Glasgow’s Commonwealth Games spread across Scotland and I would urge people across the country to sign the petitions, to write to the UK Government and to back a sporting legacy for Scotland.

 

To sign the Scotland on Sunday petition go to: http://scotlandonsunday.scotsman.com/latestnews/Scotland-on-Sunday-Online-Petition.4443660.jp